Four into One.
The Story of the Blue Coat School, Wotton-under-Edge; by Beryl A. Kingan.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society 2007
This is the story of four schools which became united as one school. The Blue Coat School was founded in 1693 and the Chipping School in 1836. The Church Infants School merged with the Chipping School in 1893. In 1923 Blue Coat became an Infants School which combined with the Chipping School in 1974 to become Blue Coat C of E Primary School. On 28th February 2000 the school moved to new premises, the impetus for compiling this history, which covers the previous three centuries. The story of the Blue Coat School reflects many of the changes in the history of education nationally.
By Asia to Australia - an 1849 Diary
The Diary of a Voyage in 1849 by James Broom; edited by Beryl A. Kingan.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society 2004
This Diary covers the first two months of a voyage form Plymouth to Adelaide, and the start of a return voyage in 1851. The diary was found in the Society's archives within memorabilia of the Foxwell family, whose home was the Post Office in the nineteenth century in Wotton-under-Edge.. Research has revealed that the diarist lived in Warminster, Wiltshire and was writing the diary for his mother in Bath. The results of this research are detailed as are lists of passengers and crew.
An Historic Map of Wotton - under - Edge
This A3 size coloured map is based on the 1882 Ordnance Survey map of the town at 25 inches to the mile. The map has been annotated with information on some of the historic buildings, people and facts. As well as being of interest in itself it makes an ideal gift when visiting relatives and friends abroad.
Rowland Hill Tabernacle Burial Register
The Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society holds the original burial and interment register for the Rowland Hill Tabernacle, a non-conformist chapel. The register list over 1,200 burials next to the Tabernacle (now the Wotton Auction Rooms). The cemetery is in three areas, the Old, New and Extension burial grounds and lists interments from 1824 to 1961. The Society has created a searchable Access database of the register together with an alphabetical Excel spreadsheet. Copies of the numbered plot layouts and the regulations of the burial grounds are also included.
This CD may be downloaded from GenFair.com. Copy the link below and paste into your internet browser:
More Wotton Worthies
By members of Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society, 2005
A further collection of biographies of notable people associated with Wotton-under-Edge. The 6 articles were originally published in the Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society Journals between 2000 and 2005. All the subjects were either born in or around Wotton or chose to make the town their home. Some have contributed directly to the community, others have enhanced Wotton's name by their achievements. Included are:
Margery Legat - a fourteenth century lady
Sir Charles Blagden M.D., F.R.S, 1748-1820
The Penley Family 1811-1928
Rev. Mathew Blagden Hale 1811-1895
John Southwood 1874-1954
Donald Milner O.B.E., A.R.C.A., M.A., P.P.R.W.A. 1898-1993