Shop : Book

Four into One.

Four into One.

The Story of the Blue Coat School, Wotton-under-Edge; by Beryl A. Kingan.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society 2007

This is the story of four schools which became united as one school. The Blue Coat School was founded in 1693 and the Chipping School in 1836. The Church Infants School merged with the Chipping School in 1893. In 1923 Blue Coat became an Infants School which combined with the Chipping School in 1974 to become Blue Coat C of E Primary School. On 28th February 2000 the school moved to new premises, the impetus for compiling this history, which covers the previous three centuries. The story of the Blue Coat School reflects many of the changes in the history of education nationally.

By Asia to Australia - an 1849 Diary

By Asia to Australia - an 1849 Diary

The Diary of a Voyage in 1849 by James Broom; edited by Beryl A. Kingan.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society 2004

This Diary covers the first two months of a voyage form Plymouth to Adelaide, and the start of a return voyage in 1851. The diary was found in the Society's archives within memorabilia of the Foxwell family, whose home was the Post Office in the nineteenth century in Wotton-under-Edge.. Research has revealed that the diarist lived in Warminster, Wiltshire and was writing the diary for his mother in Bath. The results of this research are detailed as are lists of passengers and crew.

More Wotton Worthies

More Wotton Worthies

By members of Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society.
Published by Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society, 2005

A further collection of biographies of notable people associated with Wotton-under-Edge. The 6 articles were originally published in the Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society Journals between 2000 and 2005. All the subjects were either born in or around Wotton or chose to make the town their home. Some have contributed directly to the community, others have enhanced Wotton's name by their achievements. Included are:
Margery Legat - a fourteenth century lady
Sir Charles Blagden M.D., F.R.S, 1748-1820
The Penley Family 1811-1928
Rev. Mathew Blagden Hale 1811-1895
John Southwood 1874-1954
Donald Milner O.B.E., A.R.C.A., M.A., P.P.R.W.A. 1898-1993

Worthies of Wotton-under-Edge

Worthies of Wotton-under-Edge

By G.B. Masefield M.A. D.Sc. Emeritus Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford, England
Published by the author, 1982

The selection of the '15 worthies' of Wotton-under-Edge that are described in this book has inevitably been a matter of arbitrary judgement. Firstly no living person is included and secondly only real 'worthies' who did some good by their fellow-men have been included. The 15 included:
Joan Lady Berkeley (c.1200-1276)
Katherine Lady Berkeley (c.1320-1385)
Alderman Hugh Perry (1580-1635)
Stephen Hopkins (1581-1644)
Sir Mathew Hale (1609-1676)
John Biddle (1615-1662)
Thomas Rous (1710-1771)
The Rev. Rowland Hill (1745-1833)
Humphrey Austin (1747-1829)
Sir Isaac Pitman (1813-1897)
Henry George Oliver (1870-1947)
Sir Stanley William Tubbs (1871-1941)
Alderman Frederick Holloway (1874-1963)
Charles Alfred Pearce (1878-1962)
Alderman George Frank Titt (1879-1950)

Wotton-under-Edge in Old Pictures

Wotton-under-Edge in Old Pictures

Wotton-under-Edge. Britain in Old Pictures
By Wotton-under-Edge Historical Society
Published by The History Press

Using the vast collection of previously unpublished photographs and documents held at the Heritage Centre, this book looks back at the Wotton of yesteryear to include scenes of notable characters, schools, wartime and entertainment. A central colour section illustrates the town's more recent people and events. Also featuring the nearby villages and hamlets of Kingswood, Hillesley, Wortley, North Nibley and Ozleworth, this absorbing anthology will be of interest to all family history researchers who have family connections past or present with Wotton-under-Edge.


Sorry, no items found.....

The Historical Society

If you are interested in local or family history and want to meet others with similar interests, The Historical Society and Heritage Centre is the organisation to join. By becoming a member you will also be able to attend our lectures as well as participate in the many social events, excursions and other activities we sponsor throughout the year. In addition you will receive our annual journal and newsletters.

Please visit the Society page to find out more.